In 2017 our YEA (Young Emerging Artists) kids created dog heads from clay with the assistance of aRc funding. After that, aRc made wood frames and mounted the dog heads in various locations around Rico.
Over the past two years some of the dogs have run off … found new “forever homes” … or decided that they didn’t like Rico winters! There were reports that some were still where they had been told to “stay” … and aRc needed Rico’s help to survey exactly how many canines were left in the neighborhood.
All Rico residents were invited to join in a Scavenger Hunt, from July 18 until August 2. Where did those dogs go? The kids did it!!! In response to the aRc (Artists of Rico Colorado) plea for HELP, four groups joined the SCAVENGER HUNT and found 14 dogs (plus 4 missing head sites) around town.
Harper took first prize and a $100 gift certificate to the Enterprise Bar. She found 11 dogs and three “missing head” sites. Harper told us that it took her family three days of walking and driving around town to find their dogs.
The Clara/Emmy/Eldora team came in second, reporting 11 heads, and won a gift certificate for the Prospector Restaurant. These girls used their “local network” and asked folks around town to disclose where heads had been recently spotted.
Lana was our third prize winner and took home a $25 credit, good at the Conoco Station. With her mom, she cycled around town looking for dogs and found nine, plus two missing head sites. Honorable Mention goes to two aRc members, Barbara Betts and Nora Lesem, who found twelve heads.
Thanks to our sponsors, The Rico Center and Telluride Foundation, for funding this community event.
YOU MIGHT NEED A YEA KID TO FIND THESE DOGS …
After announcing the results of the Dog Hunt, several locals asked if aRc could post the locations of the pups. This is the list of dog heads found, plus four missing head sites located during the Scavenger Hunt.
Each photo is numbered to correspond with its location on the list.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW/DOWNLOAD THE FULL LIST OF ARC DOG LOCATIONS
1. North VanWinkle Avenue
2. S. Glasgow, Prospector and New Coffee Shop
3. Silverglance, near Mountain Lion Sign by Laurie’s
4. Silverglance, to the right of Ex-Mayor Zack’s Home
5. Silverglance trail to Deadwood Jeep Trail
6. North Piedmont, near Ann J’s former house
7. West Elder at W. Rico Dolores River Trail, near Jill C’s house
8. Alley between Commercial and Glasgow, Laurie’s shed
9. North Argentine, on the shed of 25 N. River Street
10. Top of S. Commercial Street, near T Jones’
11. South Argentine, on the Playground Ramada
12. Missing Head, Mill Rd Split above B. Turrin’s
13. Missing Head, Hiking Trail up Telescope
14. Missing Head, Hiking Trail up Telescope
15. Log Cabin on corner of River and Soda Streets
16. Missing Head, Silver Street near SW corner of Bridge
17. Next to the 301 sign on N. Mantz Avenue
18. By the Pavilion, south of Town